- PM endorses Najam Sethi as Pakistan nominee for next ICC President
- Pakistan 'A' squad for New Zealand three-day game named
- Preview: Pakistan all set for first series win over Australia in 20 years
- Score Summary: Second match Pakistan U-19 v Afghanistan U-19
- PCB condoles the death of Emmad Hameed's father
PCB to award contracts to regional players
Top performers to be picked for monthly remuneration.
LAHORE: In a bid to infuse professionalism and to ensure a constant livelihood throughout the off-season, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has decided to hand out contracts to top regional players.
Twenty players from each region will be shortlisted and classified in three categories: A, B and C with the contracted amounts fixed at Rs 20,000, Rs 15,000 and Rs 10,000 respectively effective from July 1.
The idea of establishing players’ central contracts at the regional level had met mixed response after it was brought up once again by former captains and players after the death of first- class cricketer Aamer Bashir.
During former PCB chairman Nasim Ahsraf’s reign, players in the regional sides were given central contracts, a practice that has been done away with in recent years, along with a reduction in the match fees. However, the Ijaz Butt-led PCB has decided to endorse the resumption of regional contracts during the Governing Board meeting held at the at body’s headquarters.