- The seventh Meeting of the PCB Management Committee held at Gaddafi...
- Domestic Cricket Structure & Domestic Calendar 2014-15
- The Pakistan National Cricket team visited the Army Relief Camp at...
- PCB announces high profile Bid Committees for Media Rights & PSL
- Pakistan Women Team Management announced for Australia Tour & for 17th...
Fans let down by anthem snub
Play was delayed by 10 minutes due to rain right after Zimbabwe opted to bat first under grey skies.
KANDY: Scores of Pakistan fans that had travelled to Pallekele were left disappointed by the authorities’ decision to snub the national anthem for a prompt start.
Play was delayed by 10 minutes due to rain right after Zimbabwe opted to bat first under grey skies. The authorities, in their bid to make up for lost time, opted to forgo the anthem and flag ceremony, leaving Pakistan fans disappointed.
“The officials have left me upset,” Ahmed, who had arrived from Karachi on the eve of the match, told The Express Tribune. “If they wanted to make up for lost time, the lunch interval could’ve been reduced. I had planned on singing the anthem but I got robbed of the opportunity.”
Even a large number of locals – most of whom were rooting for Pakistan given Kandy’s large Muslim population – were left perplexed by the decision.